Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Yucca Tales

   
   
     I am starting a new blog called Yucca Tales. Mostly this site will be posting of fan fiction stories that I have written. I call it Yucca Tales because I live in New Mexico. When I was a child we called Yuccas 'yucky flowers' being silly and because the leaves will stab your legs when walking near them if you aren't careful. But because most of the posts on this site will be stories I have written - you might want to call it 'yucky tales'.

                                           ^^^^^^^^^^

      A little about the Yucca. It was adopted as the state flower of New Mexico in 1927. Oddly enough they are a member of the Lilly family. But they sure don't look like one. The have a bunch of long, thin, needle-like leaves set in a circle. In the early spring they put up a tall, stalk with a cluster of white blossoms on it. The blossoms last a week or so and are pollinated by only one kind of moth. Our native yuccas are usually about two to three feet tall, but other kinds can get to tree size. It is very drought resistant and likes sandy, or rocky soil. It lives from Florida to California, especially in our Southwestern states.
     
                                            ^^^^^^^^^^
     
      I said that this site would mostly be fan fiction. For those that don't know fan fiction is stories written my mostly by greenhorns or beginning authors about television shows. These stories cannot be sold as all the rights for the shows and characters belong to the producers and writers of the original shows. Writing fan fiction has been going on - well, I don't know how long but I think from at least the 1950's. I have been writing fan fiction since 1985. I have had my stories published on many fan fiction sites as well as in some fan fiction anthologies in a hard copy form (paper). The most popular fan fiction stories are usually written about only a handful of TV shows - Star Trek and Bonanza seem to be the two most popular. I have written stories about both of these shows and lots of other TV Westerns.
      I do write other kinds of fiction and sometimes non fiction. I plan to post some of them now and then.

      Since I am one of those greenhorns or beginners for posting stories on a site please forgive any mistakes. Comments are always welcome but will be subject to my approval first. Not that I mind criticism but I don't want a lot of bad language or 'spam' on my site.

No comments:

Post a Comment