Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Good and Evil


                                                        

 


                                                                       

                  This is a story about what might happen if you let someone made you really mad. Remember it is always good to  keep your temper in hand.                                                       

                                                          
                   Good and Evil
 
The traffic on the freeway was horrendous. But then again when was traffic not bumper to bumper during rush hour. Certainly never that I knew off. Of course having to dodge orange barrels, construction trucks and workers always makes for even more traffic jams, and today’s was bigger than usual.

 

But it was going to be worth it. I had managed to get off work a few hours early, and anticipated a few hours alone at home before the rest of the family arrived. A long hot shower, or maybe, better yet, a bath. With a bottle of wine, or maybe a cold beer. I hadn’t decided which would be my choice. Then an hour or so stretched out in my recliner watching TV. No, with a good book. Didn’t I have a mystery novel I hadn’t read yet? I was sure I did.  It would be a way of getting my sanity back from business in the big city. I had to do it. It would be a kind of mini-vacation. I was going to get away from everything for a while. If only for a few hours.

 

The traffic was worse.

 

The woman, to the left had her windows down and was yelling into a cell phone, while on the right was a car full of teenagers with rap music blaring. I rolled up my window and put on some light rock. As I looked up from loading the CD player, I found myself watching, in my rear view mirror, sucking in a breath and gripped the steering wheel hard as a small black car flew up behind me and slammed on its brakes to keep from rear-ending my Chevy Blazer. “You stupid idiot,” I hissed between clenched teeth, to no one but myself. 

 

The car had stopped only inches from my rear bumper. I was surprised he hadn’t actually hit me. I could see the driver glaring at me, as we inched along in the center lane. He was a tall, skinny, dude. Black hair slicked back, with dark, burning, beady little eyes. Real creepy looking. He was dressed in a black suit with a black shirt. The only bit of color he had on was a brilliantly, blood-red tie that looked wet – with – well, with what looked like – fresh blood. That was dumb, must be – maybe, something, - maybe he got his lunch on it. For some reason I shuddered at the sight of the enigmatic man, and my own blood ran cold. He frowned, his mouth a dark gash in his pallid white face.     

 

There was an opening next to me, and with a squeal of tires the black car jumped into the next lane and sped off. I noticed a white car right behind it. Jerks! I thought. How careless playing dangerous games on an overcrowded highway.

 

I continued on and several times saw both small cars. The white and the black one. They guy in the black car was creepier each time I saw him. He kept glaring at me with that ‘If looks could kill’ look. But the guy in the white car looked nice, and friendly. At one point he pulled up beside me, waved, and smiled a silly little grin. He had long, blond hair, kind of frizzy, and a big white tee shirt on. Reminded me of some of the hippies I had seen, except this guy did look clean. Really different from the guy in the black car. He waved again. There sure were a lot of weird people on the road anymore, but to be nice, I waved back, his grin grew bigger, but his car drew ahead of me, as the lane he was in moved a bit faster than my lane for a while.

 

 Damn! While I had been watching the two weird guys in the black and the white car, I missed my exit. Traffic picked up and I was sweep along with it, unable to get into the outside lane so I could get off the freeway. Before I realized it I was beyond the city.

 

Oh, well, I thought, I drove on for a bit and then took an exit that looked like it headed into the wide open country. Why not, I thought, a drive in the country that would be as nice as a few hours at home. Maybe even better.

 

I thrilled at the sight of trees, rocks, boulders, and cliffs. Wild flowers scattered over green meadows, while horses, and cows grazed peacefully. Houses were few and far between, and soon even they were gone.

 

I glanced over at a rushing stream and had a brief thought of wading barefoot in the deliciously cool water. It was only a quick glance at the stream but when I looked back, there, just in front of my Blazer, was a small black car. I had to hit the brakes hard to keep from rear-ending it. I started, as I saw the grim features of the same man I had seen earlier. It was the same black car, with the creepy guy from the freeway.

 

And when I glanced in my rearview mirror, there was the cute guy in the white car behind me.

 

What the hell, I though. “Where did they come from, again?” I wondered out loud. How had they caught up with me?

 

I slowed to a crawl and the white car zigged around me. The two cars went around a turn in the road, and disappeared out of my sight. I drove slowly around the turn, looking for the two, but could see no vehicles on the straight stretch of road.

 

I breathed a sigh of relief. Maybe they had turned off. Sure, that was it. They had turned off. They had gone on, to pester someone else, somewhere else.

 

I drove on toward the campground I knew was at the end of the road.

 

The road was now a narrow two lane, and became more winding, and twisting the farther I went. The beauty of the country filled my mind and soul. Thoughts of too long days, that never were finished fled, to be replaced by a since of wonder, and discovery that I likened to a small child on its first adventure away from the city. I felt as if someone else was putting the thoughts into my mind.

 I felt that surely I was the only human in all this, almost, wilderness. I rolled down my window and savored the wind on my face and the smell of pine trees, dirt, and untainted fresh air.

 

A flicker in my side mirror revealed a black streak of a car speeding up behind me. I held my breath, expecting to be hit, but at the last instant the car swerved around me to roar past and on. As I watched it I saw the white car appear in front of the black one.

 

Now how had the white one gotten in front of me? I was sure it hadn’t gone around me or even been there just moments before.

 

I blinked my eyes and both cars were gone. Now where had they gone this time? This game they were playing was becoming a bit ridiculous. Exasperated, I cursed them, then tried to forget them, and find the mood I had been in just moments before. But I couldn’t find it.

 

The strange game being played by the two cars had thoroughly chased off the ambient, relaxed feelings of before. Now I just felt frustrated, and mad. Mad at the two crazy drivers. I wanted to get back at them. I wanted to ruin their day too. I wanted revenge.

 

It was beside me again. As if out of no where. Out of thin air. The black car was back, beside my Blazer, but on the right side. It couldn’t be on the road. There was no room. It had to be on the shoulder of the road. And even the shoulder was to narrow. It looked as if it was almost out over the side ditches, and the grass. Was it floating above that drop off? No. It couldn’t be.

 

The driver glared at me, as he had before. As I watched his pasty, white face turned red. Dark lips spread wide in an evil grin, revealing jagged, pointed teeth that appeared to drip blood. His large eyes turned glassy black like big marbles and seemed to roll in his head.

 

What the hell, I thought. I’m seeing things. I jerked the wheel, as I realized my car was on the wrong side of the road, and a red car was honking its horn at me. When I had pulled back to the correct lane and looked again the black car was still there. But the driver looked more normal. A moment later he was gone and the white car was in front of me.

 

The driver of the car was turned around backward in the seat. How was he driving? He waved at me with both hands, his hair flying wildly around his head. I heard him yelling at me. “Stop. Stop. Please stop the car. Don’t go any farther. Or you’ll die. He’s trying to kill you. He wants your soul. Please stop.”

 

Then the white car disappeared. Was I dreaming? Was I hallucinating? Surely there should be other cars on the road to see what was happening. There! There was a car, an another. Had they seen the two crazy drivers?

 

That’s it! I decided. Enough was enough. I was going home. Forget about a drive in the country. Forget about a hot bath and a cold beer. I was going home. I didn’t care if I got my mini-vacation or not. I just wanted to be home. To see my wife and kids. At the next wide spot in the road I pulled over, turned around and headed back for home.

 

I hadn’t gone far when there they were, the white car and the black car, playing tag. First the white one was in the lead, then the black. First they were in front of me, then behind me. The driver of the black car seemed determined to make me as mad as possible. The driver of the white car kept whispering in my ear for me to stop, pull over and stay put. The guy in the black suit would yell at me to keep going. Or I think they did. They never left their cars. Never stopped. But I could hear what they were saying. It was as if their voices were in my head. I got madder, and more upset. Aggravated, beyond belief, I wanted revenge. I wanted to make the guy in the black car pay for ruining my day.

 

I tromped on the gas petal and roared after the black car. I was raging at him. Cussing him with every bad word I could spit out. I would get him. I would spoil his day. Destroy his game. Maybe even annihilate him. That was it. I would exterminate him – like a bug. I would stomp on him. I pushed the gas petal down harder, and the Blazer speeded up, but as fast as I drove, I couldn’t catch up to the black car. My blood roared in my ears. I couldn’t see anything but the black car. I had to catch it. I had to wreak it. To destroy the car and the driver.

 

I never noticed the chasm off to the side of the road, or the blue van behind me. I wove back and forth, from one side of the road to the other, trying to catch the black car. I was right on his bumper now. I had him. I was sure I did. But…if I had him, why was I standing beside my Blazer. I looked at the Blazer again. What had happened? The Blazer looked as if it had been wreaked. Was that a body in side of it? Hey! That guy sure does look like me.

 

I wasn’t standing beside the car anymore. I was standing on it. Or just over it. Why weren’t my feet touching it? I looked up the rocky slope to the road. Was the road up there? Of course it was. And there was the white car and the black car.

 

The two drivers were standing outside their vehicles now, looking down at me. “Why did you do this to me?” I yelled at them, clinching my fists, I raised one and shook it at them. “WHY?”

 

“I tried to get you to stop,” said the blond guy in the oversized white tee shirt and white pants. “But you wouldn’t lesson.” He raised his hands a bit, palm up, and shrugged his shoulders. “I tried. It was all I could do.”

 

The creepy guy in black with the red tie was giggling and doing some kind of a dance in a circle. His face was first white, then black, then red, then white again. His teeth were still dripping blood. He kept singing “I won, I won, I won, I won.”

 

“Yes, you did. This time,” said the guy in white. “But next time I will.” He turned, walked off, and seemed to disappear into thin air. The guy in black slowly sank into the ground, still giggling and saying, “I won. He’s mine.”

 

I dropped down to sit on the hood of the Blazer. I covered my face with my hands and howled in misery. I had thought it was over, but I realized it was just beginning. I looked at the body in the truck and realized that it was me.

 

 

The blue van pulled up and stopped at the edge of the road. Two men and two women got out and eased out until they could look over into the gorge. The women pulled back in horror at the sight. “Poor fool,” said one man. “He never had a chance.”

 

“He just went right over. Must have rolled three times, at least.

 

“Why did he do it?” asked one women. “Why was he going so fast on such a dangerous road?”

 

The other spoke up. “It was like he was possessed.”

No comments:

Post a Comment