Monday, September 7, 2015

Temper Tantrum Swimsuit

Temper Tantrum Swimsuit

As a sales associate in a call center that took calls for clothing catalogs I have taken lots of calls, both good ones and bad ones, but it is always the swimsuit orders that make me cringe. I understand that to many people a new bathing suit, each spring, is a very important part of their wardrobe. It seems to be even more important to today’s modern teenage girls. To me it would be on the very bottom of the list of clothing items that I would buy for myself.

Yesterday I took the ultimate in bad swimsuit calls. It started out all right. The customer had called before and all of her information was still accurate, so we moved on to what she wanted to order. I didn’t think twice when I keyed in the first item number, a swimsuit, and the size, only to see it was on backorder for sometime in May. I related this to the customer and got the first hint of a problem when she said, “Oh! No!”

I could hear her as she informed someone of the delay. I could then hear what sounded like a young teenage girl began chanting “No, no, no, no.”

“Did you want to try ordering a different swimsuit?” I asked.

My customer, apparently the mother of the teenager asked the same question of her daughter.

“No! I want that one. Now!” I heard the girl yell. I could hear what sounded like someone stomping on the floor or kicking the wall. The temper tantrum was in full swing, and I could hear her mom trying to calm things down.

I waited a moment, and flipped to the page in the catalog where the back-ordered swimsuit was so I would know what it looked like. It seemed to be an awful skimpy suit for such a young sounding girl.

It didn’t take much thought to figure out that the swimsuit was needed for something very important to the girl, and soon, so it had to be available for shipment today. Doing as I had been trained, I offered a couple of the suits that were on incentive. These were quickly turned down.

Something made me want to help solve this women’s problem and make this young girl happy. I can remember having been a teenager once, too, and wanting something desperately.

I flipped through the catalog some more, making a few suggestions, checking as I went for availability. I could hear the mother trying to get the girl interested in something else. The daughter was adamant about not wanting any but the original choice.

Out of the blue I suggested another suit that was showing to be in stock. I emphasized the well known name of the maker and seller, hoping it would impress the girl even though the suit was a totally different style. It was a two piece, as the other had been, but there was a lot more coverage, the bottom being the shorts style, and I went over a list of attractive colors. Surprisingly the girl was interested and agreed to try it.

I heard the temper tantrum calming down and the mom gave a sigh of relief. So did I, but silently to myself, so my customer wouldn’t hear it.

My customers, mother and daughter then ordered several other items, and I finished the order.

It gave me a good feeling to complete this order that had started out so badly. I may be wrong but I had the impression that this mom was more satisfied with the swimsuit that had finally been ordered for her daughter than she would have been with the one that had not been available.

No comments:

Post a Comment