Sunday, May 19, 2019

Yellow Wildflowers

After 2 spring seasons here in Kentucky I have noticed that the fields that have soybeans in them from summer to late fall have yellow wildflowers in them in the spring. I checked some wildflower websites and found that they are ragwort and buttercups. The first photos are of the ragwort, which has a kind of daisy look to the flower. The buttercups are a five petaled flower that looks kind of shiny and holds dew drops well. They are not the kind I was used to seeing in New Mexico and as a kid in Texas. These are smaller but just as pretty. I don't know why these yellow flowers come up so thick in the fields in the spring. I do know that most of the soybean farmers use a weed killer, (which I don't approve- seems as if they could just plow them under) to kill them these wildflowers and then plant the soybeans. I prefer the organic way of growing things.


 Ragwort




 Buttercups









Most of these fields are around my house. This is Ziva sitting at the edge of our property with the soybean field behind her.

No comments:

Post a Comment